Frequently Asked Questions
I didn't get my certificate of destruction.
How big are the boxes?
Is shipping our sensitive material to you secure?
Do I need special paper to print a label?
What is the difference between Ship 'n' Shred and any other shredding company?
Why is Ship 'n' Shred better than my personal shredder?
Can we mix shipments, like pill bottles, files, and computers in the same box?
What is "blind shredding"?
Describe your in plant-based security.
We have remote offices. Can you direct invoice our headquarters?
Will FedEx pick at a residence?
I am outside of the United States. How do I use Ship 'n' Shred?
If I already have an account with FedEx, or another shipper can I use my own labels?
Do you surcharge for overweight boxes?
May we ship lighter boxes? Smaller boxes?
Do you offer a program for corporate accounts? Offer volume discounts?
Is your shredding certified?
May I use my own boxes, or do I have to buy yours?
Do you recycle what you shred?
Do we have to remove staples, paperclips, binder clips, spiral notebooks etc?
What can I have Ship 'n' Shred destroy?
Does Ship 'n' Shred service rural areas?
Does Ship 'n' Shred service small businesses?
What credit cards do you accept?
I'm a shredding contractor. May I participate in the program?
I didn't get my certificate of destruction Back to Top
Some SPAM filters intercept our confirmation emails. Please set your mail filters to accept email from email@example.com. If you still don't receive it, it is available in the tracking section and in your account history.
How big are the boxes? Back to Top
A 30lb box of paper can be a file box (15"x12"x10") or an old copier paper box (picture). They can be purchased at ony office supply store or online. A 65lb box is about 2.5 cubic feet. A common size available in stores is 18"x18"x18".
Is shipping our sensitive material to you secure? Back to Top
Yes, please consider the following:
- Our plants are operated by security professionals. Your documents are mixed in with thousands of tons of documents to make re-creation impossible.
- FedEx is one of the most trusted names in the shipping business. Their record for fast, reliable service is unmatched.
- We use a destruction process called "blind shredding," which practically eliminates visual and physical contact with your material by our certified security specialists.
- Today's shipping processes are extraordinarily reliable. Most of the sensitive information that we destroy was originally delivered to our clients' homes and businesses by some postal, parcel, fax or email service. FedEx provides better security than all of these delivery services.
- Every box you ship is tracked from the time it is picked up until it is delivered to us. You can also see where your box is at any moment, here.
- All pages, not just transactional pages on our web site are encrypted to 128 bits, the highest industry standard.
- Even in the unlikely event that a shipping label falls off a box or it is damaged, FedEx overgoods investigates where the material should be delivered. If they cannot determine the shipper or receiver the material is destroyed.
No, the label prints on a plain sheet of office paper on any ink-jet or laser-jet printer.
What is the difference between Ship 'n' Shred and any other shredding company? Back to Top
Ship 'n' Shred shreds everywhere-town and country. We charge less for our services than our competitors do. We don't require any contracts. We service any size account, anywhere. We never arrive too early or too late at your account, because we are always on call. We "blind shred" whenever possible and as the default service. We don't simply certify your destruction job; we individually certify destruction of every single box we shred. We have no trucks, but FedEx has thousands!
Why is Ship 'n' Shred better than my personal shredder? Back to Top
- We are fast! We shred up to 20,000 pounds per hour. Not just three sheets at a time. We also love to chew up staples, paper clips, and thick files.
- Cost. Ship 'n' Shred saves you money even before considering your time to shred, electricity, disposal, liability, and maintenance,
- Time. Because you have better things to do than feed a shredder.
- Security. We certify the destruction of EVERY box. Each box is tracked online from your door to ours. We shred your material, box and all, within six hours. Our equipment shreds your documents into more secure pieces than even a cross-cut shredder.
- Space. No need to keep a large shredder in your office or store documents for long periods. Just ship out a file box every time it fills up.
- Environmentally Sound. Ship 'n' Shred recycles practically everything we destroy, including x-rays, electronics, uniforms, pill bottles and of course all the paper!
- Certified Destruction. All industry standards are strictly enforced. We also enforce the standards of the Privacy Act, HIPAA and GLBA. Plus you can print a certificate of destruction for your records.
No. Materials must be shipped according to content, which you select when you print the label. Some of the material grades include: paper, pill bottles, uniforms, x-rays, electronics (which includes monitors, CPUs, notebooks, modems and other electronic peripherals whose disposal is now federally regulated), defective products, recalled products, batteries (sealed only)magnetic media (CDs, cassettes, VHS tapes, hard drives etc), microfiche, and clothing. Of course, if you do not see your "material grade," give us a call and we'll see about adding it to the drop-down menu.
What is "blind shredding? Back to Top
Blind shredding means that humans are restricted from visual or physical contact with your sensitive information. However, any box that we determine or suspect contains a material or substance that may injure workers or damage equipment is opened by a Corporate Security Specialist. Rest assured, we do not examine ANY contents other than suspected contraband.
Describe your in plant-based security. Back to Top
We perform continuous criminal background checks on the handful of Security Specialists authorized to operate the equipment and maintain the plant. Keypads, proximity cards or other similar systems control access to the plant floor, as well as various security system firewalls. Every operation in the plant is under surveillance and digitally recorded. Our personnel do not come into visual or physical contact with the material unless it is risk-warranted and approved by a supervisor. With the exception of the actual Materials Class (for example, paper, pill bottles, uniforms, or other similar items), which is cryptically identified on each box by a DEPT #____, we never know what we are shredding.
We have remote offices. Can you direct invoice our headquarters? Back to Top
Yes. For direct billing customers, your remote users are provided a password with which they access our site and print shipping labels.
Will FedEx pick at a residence? Back to Top
FedEx picks up at most residences but not all. You can always take your box to the nearest FedEx ground facility or take it into work. Just make sure that the SHIP FROM information is correct for where you are shipping from.
I live outside the United States. How do I use Ship 'n' Shred? Back to Top
For locations outside of the United States just email us for a customized quote.
If I already have an account with FedEx, or another shipper can I use my own labels? Back to Top
No. For security and tracking purposes, we ask that you use Ship 'n' Shred's FedEx account.
Do you surcharge for overweight boxes? Back to Top
Yes, we surcharge for FedEx's overage rate if you send a boxes larger than you ordered.
May we ship lighter boxes? Smaller boxes? Back to Top
Do you offer a program for corporate accounts and volume discounts? Back to Top
Yes. To learn more about our Corporate Program, please give us a call at 800-747-3365.
Is your shredding certified? Back to Top
Yes. We certify destruction of each box received. You will receive an email with your certificate of destruction once your box is destroyed.
May I use my own boxes, or do I have to buy yours? Back to Top
We actually encourage you to use your own boxes, as long as they meet weight size guidelines.
Do you recycle what you shred? Back to Top
Almost everything is recycled. Paper and cardboard, pill bottles, IV bags, most plastic, wood, we even recover the metal from pallets and mattresses.
Do we have to remove staples, paperclips, binder clips, spiral notebooks etc? Back to Top
No. We shred them up with the paper. After the material is shredded, magnets remove the metal and it is recycled.
What can I have Ship 'n' Shred destroy? Back to Top
Almost anything. Office records, paper, clothing, X-rays, defective products, pill bottles, IV bags, returned products, furniture, CDs, credit cards, certain computer parts, microfiche etc. The only other requirement is that materials must be packed and secured according to FedEx's hazardous materials Ground guidelines. See www.fedex.com.
Does Ship 'n' Shred service rural areas? Back to Top
Yes. We service all of North America.
Does Ship 'n' Shred service small businesses? Back to Top
Yes. Bank branches, pharmacies, insurance offices, key man offices etc. We service all customers, any size, anywhere.
What credit cards do you accept? Back to Top
Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover.
I'm a shredding contractor. May I participate in the program? Back to Top
You bet! Just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org